When we purchased our home, the exterior looked just as rough as the interior but we knew with just a few improvements, it would look almost as good as new.
Even though we're still working on it, I thought I'd go ahead and share some of the improvements we've made. (just remember, we're amateurs ... learning as we go)
We replaced the storm doors (front & back) with some really nice ones from our local big box store. (they had just happened to be on clearance) Since the doors on our mobile home are about four inches shorter than a standard door, Buzz had to cut them off before installing them. (as seen in the pictures below)
This is the Back Door
We have double windows but wanted to add solar screens (because of our Texas heat). Buzz built a frame around each window as seen below. These frames are secured directly to the siding of the house.
When we purchased our house it already had porches (front & back) but they weren't covered. We debated about tearing them down and rebuilding, but decided instead to just cover the existing porches (for shade and protection from inclement weather).
We built the cover slightly higher than the roof line on the front porch for better air circulation. We added a rain gutter under the cover to catch most of the rainfall, and it's worked pretty well...Buzz also has two rain barrels on the other side of the front porch to collect water.
The back porch is a lot smaller, so we put the cover just under the roof line as seen above.
Re: both proches...we still have a few more things we're planning to do, and I'll try to give updates as we progress.
Link to our new Roof
Whisper Cottage gets a "Roofover"
Painting the Exterior
Of course, it took ages to pick out the colors, but once we found them, we couldn't wait to get started.
(When I say couldn't wait ... I really mean it was more like pulling teeth because we knew it was going to be a lot of work)
Here are a few Before/After pictures.
We started painting by hand and switched to an airless sprayer very quickly...so what would have taken days, took only hours.
We used a good Satin Exterior Paint from Valspar
Asiago on the House
Oatlands Subtle Taupe on the Trim
Smoked Oyster on the Shutters
Our to do list is still pretty long, but it's felt good
to get a few more things checked off!
More links to our Remodel